The Mission of the Panhandle Humane Society is to provide a nurturing and fear-free environment for the community and its pets in our care by utilizing the Five Freedoms model.
The Five Freedoms of Animal Welfare:
- Freedom from hunger and thirst by easy access to fresh, clean water and a diet to maintain health and vigor.
- Freedom from discomfort by providing an appropriate environment, including shelter and a comfortable resting area.
- Freedom from pain, injury, or disease by prevention or rapid diagnosis and treatment.
- Freedom to express normal behavior by providing sufficient space, proper facilities, and the company of the animal's own kind.
- Freedom from fear and distress by ensuring conditions and treatment which avoid mental suffering.
The Five Freedoms were developed in response to a 1965 UK government report on livestock husbandry and formalized in a 1979 press statement by the UK Farm Animal Welfare Council. The Five Freedoms have been adopted by professional groups, including veterinarians and the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.
Fear Free Shelter
The staff at Panhandle Humane Society are certified in the Fear Free Shelter program. This training helps us recognize the signs of FAS (Fear, Anxiety, and Stress) and Frustration in the animals. As a result, we can provide ways to minimize and possibly eliminate those emotions. Learn more at fearfreeshelters.com
PHS is inspected by the Nebraska Department of Agriculture at least once every year, sometimes more often. Inspections are not announced ahead of time. The inspector checks for cleanliness, food and bedding storage, and vaccination records. They also check to make sure all animals in the building have a kennel card that provides information on each animal. To date, PHS has passed our inspections.Dept of AG Commercial Dog and Cat Inspection Program
Panhandle Humane Society Holiday Hours
Panhandle Humane Society is open for most holidays. The following holidays are when Panhandle Humane Society is closed to the public. (We do still have staff come in and take care of the animals.)
- New Year's Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
Board member names are available upon request. Board member names will not be posted on our website to protect them and provide safety. Staff names will not be posted on our website to protect them and provide safety. We have had instances where people from the community have contacted staff directly through Facebook and even have called their personal cell phones. With how easy it is to get information on the Internet we don't want to put our staff at risk of disgruntled customers.